Leadership hurdles and ideas for overcoming them
Leading diverse teams, across a new digital age and during times of constant change requires both a wide skill set and a certain amount of resilience.
Here at Skills we partner with clients across a range of industries and work with them to build effective teams and develop their workforces. Through this work we’ve noticed common issues that arise again and again when it comes to team leadership. Themes include:
- Frequent change management and how to successfully lead teams through it.
- Building up the emotional intelligence of key staff.
- Identifying how to build effective teams.
- How to unify a workforce that is growing more diverse in terms of age, ethnicities and geographic location.
- How to lead teams effectively in a new technological era.
While some people are intuitive leaders, others find it more of an uphill battle. Regardless of the personality type everyone can benefit from training, mentoring and leadership tools. By taking the time to nurture your leaders and invest in their upskilling, you’ll find their confidence will improve, as will their capability to drive performance and bring out the best in their teams.
To help you negotiate some of the common issues organisations face around leadership, we’ve compiled a list of thought pieces and tools to inspire and challenge you.
- How to Lead a Team Like a Pro Your First Time: This article provides straight forward, actionable advice for people new to the realm or leadership and management.
- What New Team Leaders Should Do First: Designed for people taking over new teams, this piece provides insight on how to build rapport, manage expectations and drive success. It also provides real world case studies to illustrate the advice.
- Lead by Example: 10 Ways to Be a Successful Team Leader: Jason Olson, Director of Operations at Portent, highlights key traits successful leaders develop.
- 5 Ways to Lead Your Team More Effectively: This Forbes Magazine article by Brent Gleeson provides practical, actionable advice that you can implement in your everyday work.
- Maintaining High Performance Teams During Change: Originally written for the Harvard Business School Press, this article provides practical insight, in easy bite size pieces.
- How to Lead Your Team Through Change: Business writer and strategist, Abigail Phillips provides a step by step guide on how to lead teams through change and achieve successful outcomes.
Developing emotional intelligence
- 7 Ways to Create Emotionally Intelligent Teams: This research based article delves into practical steps you can take to boost the emotional intelligence of both leaders and teams.
- 5 Emotional Intelligence Hacks That Can Immediately Improve Your Leadership: Challenge yourself through introspection and drive growth in your emotional intelligence skills.
- The Leader’s Toolkit: 10 Tools to Build an Effective Team: This article by author and leadership specialist Brigette Hyacinth breaks down the different leadership tools available and how/when to use them.
- Leadership Toolkit from the London Leadership Academy: Get tools for managing yourself, leading others and leading change.
Leadership development can take numerous forms, from trial and error to mentorship, training and more. The options are endless, the opportunities for growth immense. If your organisation is looking to provide staff with career pathways into leadership roles or to develop the skills of existing staff, then get in touch and talk to one of our account managers. Our staff can partner with you to map competencies, develop custom solutions and empower staff development to meet strategic goals, all you have to do is make the call.
You may also like our recent blog on resources, ideas and research to help you build a happy team. This page provides tools and ideas on managing diverse teams and workplaces.