Your real estate licence

Getting your licence

To do real estate work in New Zealand you must be licensed by the Real Estate Authority (REA). The REA is an independent government agency that regulates the New Zealand real estate industry. In addition to licensing those in the industry, the REA develops and upholds The Code of Professional Conduct and Client Care.

Here’s how to apply for your real estate licence:

  1. Once you have completed all the courses in your programme, NZQA verifies your completion. This can take up to 10 working days.
  2. Skills will then produce a certificate and mail it to you. You should make sure you keep your address details up to date.
  3. After you receive your certificate, you can apply for your licence online on the REA Licensee Portal.
  4. Once the REA has received your application, you will undergo a police check and your name, address, and application details are advertised on the REA website for 14 days. During this time, anyone can lodge an objection to your application. You should allow for up to a month for your licence application to be processed and a decision to be notified to you.

As of 1 February 2017, the cost of applying or license will reduce from $1,132.75 to $939.55 (incl. GST)

If you wish to transfer your Australian licence to New Zealand, please contact the REA.

Visit the REA website for more information on the licensing process.

Maintaining your licence

It is important that you make sure your licence is always valid. Current laws require you to renew your licence every 12 months. It can take up to 15 days for your renewal to be processed, so it’s important that you renew it before your expiry date. Otherwise, you may not be able to do real estate work.

Maintaining professional knowledge through continuing education is necessary for you to maintain a licence. For more information, see the REA page on continuing education.

Alternative pathways to licensing

The Real Estate Agents Licensing Regulations 2009 allows people holding a property degree to apply for a licence. The recognised degrees are:

You should note that some industry experience is required to be eligible for Branch Manager and Agent licences.

To discuss these alternative pathways to licensing, please contact us.