Financial Services

    What do I need to do to complete the New Zealand Certificate in Financial Services (Level 5)?

    You must complete the Core requirements, plus the requirements for at least one of the specialist Strands.

    What if I have completed a degree or an overseas qualification?

    If you have questions about exemptions, please contact the Financial Markets Authority (FMA) helpline on 0800 434 567. You can also visit their website at Here you can view the Code of Professional Conduct and find out what you can get exemption for.


    For the purposes of becoming an Authorised Financial Adviser (AFA), the FMA provides relief from parts of the Level 5 certificate. These are set out in the “competency alternatives” schedule. 



    Who is required to undergo the training for their C.O.A?

    The training applies to crowd controllers, crowd controller employees, property guards, property guard employees, personal guards, and personal guard employees.

    How do I complete the training?

    There are several different ways you can complete this training.

    Skills has recognised the following organisations to deliver the mandatory training requirements:

              Individual organisations will advise you of costs, delivery method, and course dates.

    Further information about the wider regulatory requirements can be found on the Ministry of Justice website -


    I have other qualifications - can I be exempted from this?

    If you would like to know more about the Private Security Personnel Licensing, qualification equivalency, or qualification exemptions, you should contact the Authority directly on 0800 4PSPLA (477 752, or visit their website

    What are the security training requirements?

    All of the people covered by the new requirements will need to achieve the following three NZQA unit standards:

    • 27364 - Demonstrate knowledge of the security industry in the pre-employment context
    • 27360 - Demonstrate knowledge of managing conflict situations in a security context
    • 27361 - Manage conflict situations in a security context

    Who must hold a licence?

    Any individual or company providing private security or private investigation services for money must be licensed.

    Any security personnel employed by or contracted to a licence holder must hold an appropriate certificate of approval, as must any crowd controller.

    Who do the Private Security Personnel requirements apply to?

    The training applies to both Licence and Certificate of Approval holders. This includes crowd controllers, crowd controller employees, property guards, property guard employees, personal guards, and personal guard employees.

    Security guards wanting to renew their license should contact the Ministry of Justice:

    If you would like to complete your three mandatory units, please see a training provider:

    I’m unable to print out Question 44 for Unit Standard 27360. Can you please assist?

    Please contact your training provider for assistance with this.


    I’m completing the online assessment for 27360 and I’m locked out of a question. Can you please assist?

    Please contact our customer services team on 0508 754 557 or email


    Is Skills a training provider?

    Skills is not a training provider. We are the recognised standards setting body for our industries. That means we develop and maintain competence (or unit) standards and national qualifications to meet the skills needs of our industries.

    Delivery of our national qualification programmes occurs in the workplace and/or via arrangements with independent providers, such as polytechnics and private training establishments.

    How an apprenticeship works?

    Apprenticeships are a combination of off-job and on-job learning.

    Off-job learning is a key part of your apprenticeship and provides the underpinning knowledge required to complete the on-job component of your apprenticeship.

    • Typically takes place in group settings (with the exception of distance learning)
    • Usually assessed in the form of a test or assignment
    • May include: Block Courses, night classes, day release, or distance learning

    Distance learning:

    • Allows apprentices to complete the learning in their own time and environment
    • Completed by working through course books and completing assessments, to achieve the off-job components of the qualification
    • May also require attendance on a block course

    Can I change my training provider half-way through my study?

    Unless there are special circumstances, trainees are not encouraged to change provider during their study.

    If there are special circumstances, Skills needs to ensure your new training provider is still accepting enrolments and that Skills still has a course place available at your level.

    How can I find out how I’m doing?

    You can view a progress report that lists the unit standards you’ve achieved through your My Skills account on the Skills website.

    Alternatively, you can download your Record of Learning from the NZQA website or contact them for it directly.

    How can I find out who my account manager is?

    Your account manager will differ depending on where in the country you live.

     To find out who your account manager is, email us at Just remember to let us know where in New Zealand you live.

    How can I find out how my apprentice is doing?

    You can see how your apprentice is doing by logging into My Skills and viewing their progress report.

    Your apprentice can also log on and download their NZQA Record of Learning.

    How do I apply for my national qualification?

    Once you have completed all the on-job and off-job units that make up your qualification, Skills will work with NZQA to check that your NZQA Record of Learning is correct and complete.

    Once this has been verified, Skills will send you your National Certificate.

    How do I know if I’ve been assessed fairly?

    All assessors are moderated on a regular basis to ensure fair and consistent assessment decisions.

    If you feel you have been treated unfairly, please contact Skills for details on the appeal process.

    How long does an apprenticeship take?

    Apprenticeships are no longer hours-based.

    Once the required number of credits has been achieved (including successfully completing exams), a National Certificate is awarded and the apprenticeship is complete.

    Depending on the qualification, an apprentice will take up to four years to achieve a National Certificate and complete their apprenticeship.

    How long does it take to get a national qualification?

    This varies depending on the qualification and a company’s objectives when implementing national qualifications training.

    Skills field staff work with companies to plan appropriate time frames.

    I am leaving my current employer. What do I need to do?

    1.       Contact Skills on the day you finish employment with your current employer.

    2.       Skills can then confirm this with your current employer and terminate your Training Agreement.

    3.       You then need to sign a new Training Agreement with a new employer within 30 days of this termination.

    Either you or your new employer can request a new Training Agreement.

    Once your current Training Agreement is terminated, your course place is only held open for one month – giving you time to sign a new Training Agreement. If no new Training Agreement is received within that time, you will be withdrawn from your course.

    Is there an age limit for apprenticeships?


    What assessment material am I meant to be handing in?

    Electrical apprentices – blue slips and evidence sheets from your workplace logbooks.

    Roofing apprentices – your assessment sheets.

    Where can I find evidence sheets?

    Evidence sheets can now be accessed through My Skills.

     If you have a My Skills account, log in and click on the Resources tab at the top of the page. From here you can select Specialist Trades Evidence Sheets and Resources.

     If you don’t have a My Skills account, please email or call us on 0508 754 557 (Monday to Thursday 7am to 7pm, Friday 7am to 5pm), and a Customer Service Representative will be available to help you.

    Who pays for the off-job course fees?

    Skills' government subsidy covers part of the off-job course fee.

    The remainder is paid by the apprentice or employer.

    Course fees vary depending on the level of course and training provider.

    For more information, contact your Skills Account Manager.