About Business Advisor Programme
What is the Business Advisor Programme?
The Business Advisor Programme is designed to support small to medium sized businesses in the Plumbing, Gasfitting & Drainlaying, Roofing and Scaffolding industries.
The programme helps business owners gain confidence by pairing them with a trade specific business advisor. The advisor works alongside them on a one on one basis, free of charge, for a period of up to 6 months (terms and conditions apply).
The current situation
Many trade business owners are technical experts ‘in’ the business but have little experience or training when it comes to working ‘on’ the business. Plus, it’s really hard to know where to go for the right help which fits around the busy days. Future-proofing these local businesses with the tools to be successful is a priority.
Almost half of New Zealand’s SME businesses close their doors within the first few years of start-up and Skills wants to help break this cycle.
What the programme focuses on
The old cliché that ‘you don’t know what you don’t know’ is true and with an advisor alongside you many of the don’t knows are taken out of the business. And you can ask any questions you like.
The key focus areas are:
- Building management confidence
- Financial understanding
- Business strategy and planning
- Staff appreciation and retention
- Improved personal time
- Business succession
- Growth in confidence
- Understanding of business opportunities and difficulties
- A sustainable sales model
- Employees now seen as an investment
- Better relationships with wholesalers
- Increase in staff including apprentice appointments
* A group of businesses completed a one year pilot programme in Northland with an advisor.
Contact Our Business Advisor Team
Getting started is easy, all you need to do is fill in the ‘contact us’ form and someone from the Business Advisor Programme will be in touch. So, what are you waiting for?