Skills Recommendation for Registration for overseas-qualified people
(Plumbing, Gasfitting, Drainlaying)
Ensure you understand the NZ Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board (PGDB) pathway to registration by reading their 'Introduction guide for overseas-qualified people' available here: www.pgdb.co.nz/trade/tradespeople_coming_to_NZ.html
What is the Skills Recommendation for Registration?
Skills carries out the assessment of overseas qualifications on behalf of the PGDB. Skills is an industry training organisation that sets industry qualifications, unit standards and arranges training across 22 industries in New Zealand. The Skills Recommendation is for people wanting to apply for pre-registration with the Board.
Skills Recommendation is for people who hold an overseas qualification in plumbing, gasfitting and/or drainlaying and wish to register and work in New Zealand in these industries. Plumbing, gasfitting and drainlaying are restricted trades that may only be carried out by authorised people, as set out in the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Act 2006 (the Act).
Skills Recommendation is for those that wish to get recognition for their qualifications to help them apply for pre-registration with the PGDB. To be eligible for pre-registration there are a number of criteria you must meet.
Pre-registration application: If you are successfully awarded a Skills Recommendation, you meet Criteria 1 of the Board’s pre-registration standards (having recognition of a qualification equal to the New Zealand or National Certificate in plumbing, gasfitting or drainlaying). Go to http://www.pgdb.co.nz/trade/working-overseas.html for the pre-registration application.
Who can apply for the Skills Recommendation for Registration?
To be able to apply for the Skills Recommendation you must be aware of the following criteria:
- You must hold an overseas qualification in plumbing, gasfitting or drainlaying.
- You can be based overseas or within New Zealand
- You must supply evidence that you have a minimum of four years working full time in the plumbing and/or gasfitting trade and/or evidence that you have a minimum of two years working full time in the drainlaying trade.
- You can only apply for one trade per application.
How does the Skills Recommendation for Registration work?
If you wish to apply to be Recommended for Registration you will need to do the following:
- Complete the Skills Recommendation for Registration application form, supply supporting evidence, pay the associated fees and submit the application to Skills.
- You will then receive an acknowledgement that your application has been received.
- Applications will be reviewed within 30 working days.
- You will be notified by Skills as to whether you meet Skills Recommendation for Registration.
- You must submit your Skills Recommendation for Registration notification as part of your pre-registration application for the Board.
What if I am not awarded the Skills Recommendation for Registration?
If you do not meet the Skills Recommendation for Registration we will advise you of which standards you require and any gaps in your application. Each standard has an associated credit value. To meet recognition of these standards there are two options available to you:
- Submit workplace evidence through our Skills Recognition Process which will then be reviewed by an assessor. This will cost an additional $20 per credit.
- Only for NZ based applicants – arrange gap training through a NZ Training Provider. Cost for this may vary depending on the gaps.
Once you meet all the Skills Recommendation for Registration requirements, applicants will receive a notification from Skills.
What evidence do I need to supply?
- A certified copy of your formal qualification in either plumbing, gasfitting or drainlaying.
- A certified transcript that relates to your qualification (the topics covered in the qualification)
- A letter from current or past employer(s) or supervisor(s) which:
1. details the exact type of plumbing/gasfitting/drainlaying work that you carried out, and
2. provides exact dates of employment.
- Any additional relevant training that can support your application for pre-registration. This also needs to be certified e.g. specialised health and safety training or courses, specialised supplier training.
- Any letters must be on letterhead, dated and signed by the author.
- Certified evidence is a photocopy of your original document that has been verified by a person authorised to make such declarations, for example, a Justice of the Peace, barrister or solicitor, notary public, court registrar or deputy registrar, or a Member of Parliament.
- High school transcripts are not required.
- Any evidence submitted for the Skills Recommendation for Registration needs to be in English.
NZD$862 (including GST) per application per trade.
Currently we are only accepting payment by credit card. Please ensure you enter the authorisation code of your payment when completing the application using the online form below.
Please note, you will receive an invoice for your records. No further payment is required on this invoice.
Ready to register?
Please make sure that you have your evidence ready to upload before you start the registration process.
Step 1: Pay the fee - online payment.
- Please note - just enter "0" in the in the 'Sales/Invoice Number' and 'Customer ID' fields.
- Make sure you remember to copy the 'payment Authorisation code' into the application form
Step 2: Complete the application form.
Use this link to view the Relevant Guidance Documents.