Recognition of Current Competence

Plumbing, Gasfitting and Drainlaying

You’ve chosen this category as you are based in New Zealand and are currently registered and licensed as a Certifying Plumber with the PGDB, and you wish to be assessed to be eligible to register as a Certifying Drainlayer.

What evidence do I need to supply?

Evidence that you have a minimum of 4 years full-time working in the drainlaying trade, in the form of letter(s) from current/past employer(s) or supervisor(s) which:

  1.  List details of the exact types of drainlaying work that you carried out; and
  2. Specify your exact dates of employment (dd/mm/yyyy to dd/mm/yyyy).


  • Any letters must be on letterhead, dated and signed by the author
  • Where possible, they should provide evidence to support what they are saying such as copies of employment agreements, wage records, and job records.

Optional evidence you could supply to back up the content of your letter(s)

  • Invoices, tax records, contracts, design plans, Council/Territorial Authority plans, quotes, consent/permits, testimonials from inspectors, etc.
  • BCA inspector site inspection paperwork
  • Certified copies of other relevant training that can support the application, e.g. specialised training or courses, supplier training etc.
  • Photographic evidence of work you have done and which the letters confirm you completed.


  • Any letters must be on letterhead, dated and signed by the author.
  • A certified copy is a photocopy of your original document that has been verified by a person authorised to make such declarations, for example, a Justice of the Peace, barrister or solicitor, notary public, court registrar or deputy registrar, or a Member of Parliament.
  • Any evidence submitted must be in English.


NZ$1,495 (inclusive of GST)

Making Payments

Currently we are only accepting payment by credit card. Please note, you will receive an invoice for your records. No further payment is required on this invoice.