Recognition of Overseas Qualification

Plumbing, Gasfitting and Drainlaying

You’ve chosen this option as you want your overseas qualification assessed.

What evidence do I need to supply?


Compulsory – you must provide the following 4 pieces of evidence:

  1. A certified copy of your formal qualification (certificate) in either plumbing/gasfitting/drainlaying.
    • Start and finish dates of your training and the name of the institute where your training took place.
    • A transcript that relates to your qualification (i.e. listing the topics covered in the qualification)


  1. Evidence of four years working full time in plumbing/gasfitting or two years working full time in drainlaying in the form of letters from current and/or past employer(s).
    • Letters should specify exact dates of employment with each employer (dd/mm/yyyy to dd/mm/yyyy), and
    • List details of the plumbing/gasfitting/drainlaying work you have carried out with that employer.
    • If you are currently working in New Zealand you must supply a letter from this employer.
    • Any letters must be on letterhead, dated and signed by the author.


  1. Copies of certificates from any other relevant Health & Safety training courses attended, e.g. General Health and Safety, First Aid, Height Safety.
    • For plumbing and gasfitting the minimum certification is first aid and site safe training.
    • For drainlaying the minimum certification is first aid, site safe and confined spaces training.
    • Certified copies of other relevant training, e.g. specialised training or courses such as: Asbestos, Solar Heating, supplier training etc.


  1. Other – you must provide further evidence in the form of a portfolio of evidence to show you meet the competencies required. Examples of the type of other evidence to supply:
    • A copy of your trade license card, current or expired.
    • BCA inspector site inspection paperwork or testimonials from Council inspectors.
    • Photographic or video evidence showing range and types of work undertaken.
    • Job cards verified by a supervisor.
    • Certified copies of invoices, tax records, contracts, design plans, Council / Territorial Authority plans, quotes, consent/permits, etc.

Download the Evidence Guide for your trade and see what your assessor will assess you against.  Use the checklist to record what evidence you are supplying in your portfolio.  This will ensure you cover all the required competencies, and your application can be processed quickly.


  • A certified copy is a photocopy of your original document that has been verified by a person authorised to make such declarations, for example, a Justice of the Peace, barrister or solicitor, notary public, court registrar or deputy registrar, or a Member of Parliament.
  • High school transcripts are not required.
  • Any evidence submitted must be in English.


NZ$862 (including GST) per application per trade.

Making Payments

Currently we are only accepting payment by credit card. Please note, you will receive an invoice for your records. No further payment is required on this invoice.